Clinton to campaign in Cleveland on heels of Trump stop

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Hillary Clinton will be in Cleveland on Wednesday to compare elements of her economic and tax agenda to that of Republican rival Donald Trump.
The Democratic presidential nominee’s campaign says Clinton will have a 1:15 p.m. rally at John Marshall High School. She plans to tour the school before that.
Trump was in northeast Ohio on Monday. He called for a new ideological test for admission to the United States, vetting applicants on their stance on issues like religious freedom, gender equality and gay rights. The policy would represent a significant shift in how the U.S. manages entry into the country.
Clinton edged Trump 49 percent to 45 percent in Ohio in a Quinnipiac (KWIHN’-ih-pee-ak) University poll released last week. The margin-of-error was plus or minus 3.4 percentage points.

Ohio city aims to help cops, firefighters blocked by trains

CIRCLEVILLE, Ohio (AP) — A small Ohio city where trains sometimes block responders during emergencies will reopen an old fire station on the other side of the tracks while trying to find funding for an overpass above one of the city’s 19 rail crossings.
Circleville officials plan to open up the second fire station by the end of the year. It will have a small crew, with one ambulance and one engine.
Mayor Don McIlroy tells The Columbus Dispatch that Norfolk Southern wants to close some of the crossings, which would require it to compensate the city.
Officials say the closure of the crossings would free up federal money that could go toward the overpass.
McIlroy says he plans to ask state lawmakers to help him secure funding in the fall.

Court invalidates signatures for Ohio drug-price proposal

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — The Ohio Supreme Court has ruled that a proposal aimed at controlling prescription drug prices lacks enough valid signatures to meet the state’s requirements, and backers must collect more for it to move ahead.
The court said Monday that roughly 10,000 signatures submitted by supporters of the Drug Price Relief Act were erroneously validated, and more than 5,000 signatures are now needed for the initiated statute.
The court says backers have until Aug. 25 to collect those signatures. Then the proposal could be resubmitted to the General Assembly.
Opponents including the Ohio Manufacturers’ Association and the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America had challenged the signature petitions.
The proposal aims to keep state entities from buying drugs at prices higher than the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs pays.

Judge dismisses convictions of 3 men imprisoned for 20 years

By MARK GILLISPIE, Associated Press
CLEVELAND (AP) — A judge on Monday tossed out murder convictions for three men who spent 20 years in prison in a case that started unraveling when attorneys learned a top county prosecutor deliberately hid witness statements casting doubt on their guilt.
The men, Laurese Glover, Derrick Wheatt and Eugene Johnson, were convicted as teenagers in January 1996 for the fatal shooting of 19-year-old Clifton Hudson in East Cleveland but denied killing him. Johnson and Wheatt received sentences of 18 year to life, and Glover was sentenced to 15 years to life.
Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Judge Nancy Margaret Russo released the men from prison in March 2015 and, for a second time, ordered a new trial after attorneys for the Ohio Innocence Project found a letter written by first assistant county prosecutor Carmen Marino in 1998 telling East Cleveland police to withhold the investigative file from attorneys filing an appeal of the convictions.
Marino’s letter instead directed police to send the file to him. The judge, during the March 2015 hearing, called Marino’s letter a “deliberate, willful and malicious suppression” of evidence.
The file contained reports with witness statements that identified someone other than Johnson as Hudson’s killer in February 1995. Glover and Wheatt were charged with murder because they were seen in a vehicle along with Johnson near where Hudson was fatally shot.
East Cleveland police turned the case file and the Marino letter over to the Innocence Project in late 2013.
A spokesman for the Cuyahoga County prosecutor’s office said Monday that it would be too difficult to retry the case after the prosecution’s only eyewitness during the 1996 trial, a 14-year-old girl, recanted her trial testimony in 2004. That’s when the judge first ordered a new trial for the men, which an appeals court overturned when prosecutors objected. The 8th District Court of Appeals in Cleveland upheld the judge’s more recent trial order earlier this year.
Court documents show the girl initially told police she didn’t get a good look at the man who shot Hudson. The next day, however, she identified Johnson from a photo lineup, and during a 1996 trial she testified he killed Hudson.
The investigative file contained statements from two brothers, ages 8 and 9, who said they saw the shooter emerge from a post office parking lot and not from the nearby Ford Bronco with Johnson, Wheatt and Glover inside. The file also includes a report about threats made against Hudson and his brother before the shooting that might have aided the men’s defense.
Cleveland attorney Carmen Naso, who worked with the Innocence Project to exonerate Glover, Wheatt and Johnson, called Monday a “glorious day for the legal justice system.”
The men should be eligible to receive payments from a state wrongful-conviction fund, Naso said.
Marino, the prosecutor who hid the evidence file, couldn’t be reached for comment by telephone.

Georgia truck driver charged in fatal crash on Ohio Turnpike

CASTALIA, Ohio (AP) — A Georgia truck driver has been charged in a crash that killed a girl from New York and injured seven others on the Ohio Turnpike.
Investigators say the driver’s tractor-trailer smashed into nine vehicles in a construction zone on Sunday.
The State Highway Patrol says 40-year-old Chavan Carter of Powder Springs, Georgia, has been charged with vehicular manslaughter and vehicular assault. It’s not clear yet whether he has an attorney.
The patrol says he failed to stop as traffic slowed in the construction zone.
The patrol says 14-year-old Madison Creagan of West Shokan, New York, died in the crash near Sandusky in northern Ohio.
Authorities haven’t released any details on the conditions of the seven injured motorists.
The crash shut down the turnpike’s eastbound lanes for several hours on Sunday.

Unlikely Miami power source derails Reds in 6-3 loss

By MARK SCHMETZER, Associated Press
CINCINNATI (AP) — The Miami Marlins were missing slugger Giancarlo Stanton, and the Cincinnati Reds still had trouble keeping them in the ballpark.
Chris Johnson drove in two runs with a homer and a double, former reliever David Phelps pitched into the sixth inning in his third start of the season and the Marlins opened the four-game series with a 6-3 victory Monday night.
Marcell Ozuna also homered and Dee Gordon beat Joey Votto’s high toss to pitcher Blake Wood covering first base for a bases-loaded, two-run infield single for Miami, which has won two straight games after a three-game losing streak. Both wins have come since Stanton was lost on Saturday for what is expected to be at least six weeks with a groin injury.
“They took advantage of some elevation pitches,” Reds manager Bryan Price said. “I bet they are tickled to death to be hitting here instead of their own ballpark.”
The Marlins went into Monday one-half game behind St. Louis for the National League’s second wild-card slot.
Phelps (6-6) struck out a season-high eight — one short of matching his career high — while allowing two runs in 5 1/3 innings. He gave up four hits with one walk.
Scott Schebler drove in two of Cincinnati’s runs with a homer and a bases-loaded walk. His solo homer in the second snapped an 0-for-28 slump.
Gordon led off the game with a double to right and scored on Martin Prado’s single on the 12th pitch of his at-bat against Brandon Finnegan. Johnson snapped a 1-1 tie with his solo home run into the visitor’s bullpen in right, his fifth of the season and first since July 20.
Ozuna stretched the lead with a homer to lead off the sixth, his 20th of the season and first since July 30.
Finnegan (7-9), 2-0 in his last three starts and 4-1 over his last six, allowed seven hits and four runs with three walks and three strikeouts in 5 2/3 innings.
“I made a lot of good pitches today,” Finnegan said. “I had bad luck on two routine fly balls that carried out. I’ve been going deep into games all year. There were just a few games that I didn’t.”
The Marlins added two insurance runs in the eighth on Gordon’s bases-loaded chopper. Aden Hechavarria scored all the way from second on the play.
“We got into a bind in that inning,” Price said. “We had a bang-bang play at first and they had some speed on the bases.”
Fernando Rodney pitched the ninth for his 21st save.
REED REGROUPING: The Reds optioned winless LHP Cody Reed to Triple-A Louisville before Tuesday’s game. Reed allowed six runs in Cincinnati’s 7-3 loss at Milwaukee on Sunday before being pulled in the second inning. He is 0-7 with a 7.36 ERA in 10 starts.
EARLY NIGHT: Miami manager Don Mattingly was ejected in the bottom of the third inning by plate umpire Bill Welke after complaining to the third base umpire about a ruling that Tucker Barnhart didn’t swing at a pitch. The ejection was Mattingly’s third of the season.
HITLESS IN CINCY: Ichiro Suzuki went 0 for 4 on Monday to fall to 0 for 7 in his career at Great American Ball Park, the only existing stadium in which he’s failed to record a hit.
TRAINING ROOM
Marlins: RHP A.J. Ramos threw on Monday for the first time since going on the DL on Aug. 6 with a fractured finger on his right hand. Depending on how he feels, the next step would be a bullpen on Tuesday, Mattingly said.
Reds: CF Billy Hamilton left Monday’s game after five innings with a right knee contusion. Hamilton banged into the center field wall and the left-center field chain-link fence going after balls in the first three innings.
UP NEXT
Marlins: Miami announced after the game that RHP Jose Urena (1-3) will be recalled from Triple-A New Orleans to start Tuesday’s second game of the series against the Reds.
Reds: Ex-Marlin RHP Anthony DeSclafani (6-1) is scheduled to make his second career start against his former team on Tuesday. DeSclafani is coming off his first loss of the season, 3-2 last Wednesday at St Louis.

Serena Williams withdraws from Cincinnati with injury

By MARK SCHMETZER, Associated Press
MASON, Ohio (AP) — Serena Williams withdrew from the Western & Southern Open with a sore shoulder on Monday, putting her No. 1 ranking in jeopardy.
Williams originally planned to skip the Cincinnati tournament, which comes right after the Olympics.
When she was upset in Rio, she accepted a wild card at Cincinnati and practiced on Monday morning.
Later in the day, the two-time defending champion informed the tournament that she was withdrawing because of an inflamed shoulder.
“My shoulder inflammation continues to be a challenge, but I am anxious to return to the court as soon as possible,” she said in a statement.
Williams is ranked No. 1 for the 306th week overall in her career and her 183rd in a row. It’s the second-longest streak in WTA history, trailing Steffi Graf’s 186 consecutive weeks. She first topped the rankings in July 2002 and, at age 34, is the oldest woman to hold the top spot since the computer rankings were introduced in 1975.
Second-ranked Angelique Kerber will take over the top spot if she wins the tournament.
Williams’ withdrawal also leaves the tournament without its top seeds in both brackets.
Novak Djokovic also was upset in Rio and then withdrew from Cincinnati because of a sore left wrist. Defending champion Roger Federer is sidelined for the rest of the season while he rehabilitates his surgically repaired knee.
Without Djokovic and Federer, the men’s draw is wide open. Fourth-ranked Stan Wawrinka sees it as an opportunity, if his back can hold out. He withdrew from the Olympics because of a sore back.
“I had to take some days for rehab,” the 31-year-old from Switzerland said. “I took eight days off from tennis and started playing last Monday.”
Wawrinka, whose best Cincinnati finish was the 2012 semifinals, showed up for practice on Thursday and prepared to resume a season that had included three championships. He reached the French Open semifinals and the Rogers Cup at Toronto.
Wawrinka, who is 31-11 this season, found time between practice sessions to watch the Olympic tennis tournament in Brazil.
“It was not easy to not be there, but it would’ve been way too much to fly to Rio,” he said.
Wawrinka is seeded second at Cincinnati behind Olympic singles champion Andy Murray and ahead of Spain’s Rafael Nadal, who finished fourth at the Olympics in his first tournament since injuring his left wrist at the French Open.
“It was great to see him back,” Wawrinka said of Nadal, a possible Cincinnati semifinal opponent. “I think that was his best hardcourt tournament this year.”
Wawrinka has a first-round bye and is scheduled to meet American wild-card entrant Jared Donaldson, who defeated Spain’s Nicolas Almagro 6-3, 7-6 (2) in a first-round match on Monday.
In another first-round match, unseeded Julien Benneteau upset 10th-seeded Spaniard David Ferrer 6-4, 2-6, 6-4. Benneteau lost 6-3, 6-2 in the 2014 Cincinnati semifinals.
In the first match of the women’s draw, Jelena Ostapenko of Latvia needed 2 hours, 40 minutes to outlast Slovakia’s Anna Karolina Schmiedlova 1-6, 7-6 (6), 7-6 (5).

Ortiz’s homer lifts Red Sox over Indians 3-2

By STEVE HERRICK, Associated Press
CLEVELAND (AP) — David Ortiz bid farewell to Progressive Field with a game-changing home run Monday.
Ortiz hit a go-ahead, two-run drive in a three-run sixth inning, and the Boston Red Sox defeated the Cleveland Indians 3-2 to extend their winning streak to four.
Ortiz’s 27th home run this season, the 530th of his big league career, overcame a 1-0 deficit. Ortiz homered in all three games the Red Sox played in Cleveland in his final season.
“I always love hitting in this park,” he said. “Who doesn’t? It’s a really good hitting ballpark.”
Ortiz’s drive came off Josh Tomlin (11-6), who has given up a major league-leading 29 home runs this season.
Asked whether he was glad Ortiz was retiring, Tomlin said, “I am now, yeah. He’s an unbelievable hitter and he made me pay.”
The game was a makeup of an April 7 postponement caused by snow and cold. Ortiz also homered on April 5 and 6.
Boston is starting an 11-game trip to four cities. Manager John Farrell never considered resting his 40-year-old slugger.
“He doesn’t cease to amaze,” Farrell said. “By no means was there any plan for him not to be in today’s lineup.”
Jackie Bradley Jr. also homered off Tomlin in the sixth.
Drew Pomeranz (1-2) allowed two runs and five hits in 7 2/3 innings to win for the first time since he was acquired from San Diego on July 14. He had been 0-2 in five starts for the Red Sox.
Selected by Cleveland with the fifth overall pick in the 2011 amateur draft, Pomeranz gave up Rajai Davis’ leadoff homer in the fourth and RBI double in the eighth.
Francisco Lindor doubled against Craig Kimbrel leading off the ninth and Mike Napoli walked. Carlos Santana and pinch-hitter Jason Kipnis struck out, and Abraham Almonte hit a drive to right that hooked foul before he popped out. Kimbrel got his 20th save in 22 chances.
Tomlin lost his third straight outing and for the fifth time in seven decisions after a 9-1 start, allowing three runs and seven hits in 7 2/3 innings. AL Central-leading Cleveland had won its previous four games.
“This was a good win,” Farrell said. “They pushed us, obviously, but Kimbrel was able to get the last one.”
Boston trails AL East-leading Toronto by 1 1/2 games in the AL East and leads for the league’s second wild card.
“Every win matters,” Ortiz said.
PAPI FAREWELL
Ortiz was given a loud ovation during each at-bat. He lined out in the first, bounced into a double play in the fourth and singled in the eighth. Ortiz took off on a 3-1 count to Betts and would have had a clean steal of second, but the pitch was ball four.
Before the game, Cleveland presented a check for $10,000 in Ortiz’s name to a local recreation center.
TRAINER’S ROOM
Red Sox: RHP Steven Wright (strained right shoulder) was placed on the 15-day disabled list.
Indians: RHP Danny Salazar (sore right shoulder) is scheduled to start Thursday against the White Sox. He hasn’t pitched since Aug. 1.
UP NEXT
Red Sox: LHP Eduardo Rodriguez (2-5) is to start Tuesday in the opener of a two-game set in Baltimore.
Indians: RHP Corey Kluber (12-8) is to take the mound in the start of a three-game series against the Chicago White Sox.

Professor collects donations for flooded school labs

 

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — Boxes full of microscopes, glassware and safety glasses have been filling up a former research lab on West Virginia State University’s campus ever since a chemistry professor started collecting science equipment to donate to schools whose labs were damaged in floods earlier this year.
Professor Micheal Fultz has received tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of equipment set to be distributed, he told The Charleston Gazette-Mail (http://bit.ly/2bjrQ9w).
Fultz said the donations will go to at least three schools: Elkview Middle and Herbert Hoover High in Kanawha County and Richwood Middle in Nicholas County. He’s reached out to other schools but hasn’t yet heard back about all their needs.
Fultz started getting the word out in the science community about the need for donations after talking with science teachers he knew who were affected by the flooding. The June 23 floods killed 23 people and destroyed homes, businesses and infrastructure.
The donors have included West Virginia State alumni, Marshall University, Dow, Mylan Pharmaceuticals, Preiser Scientific, science equipment distributor VWR and others, Fultz said.
“These students are our students, as a state, as a community, and we need to help support the schools, with whatever we can do,” Fultz said. “Without students going into the STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) fields, the science fields, it’s going to be very hard to get them to go into the science fields at college. If we’re not graduating science people, then how are we going to diversify our future economy to help it grow?”
___
Information from: The Charleston Gazette-Mail, http://wvgazettemail.com.

verdoses in 4 hours

Huntington police respond to 26 overdoses in 4 hours

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. (AP) — Officials in Huntington are warning people about an especially dangerous batch of heroin after emergency responders responded to more than two dozen reported overdoses within a four-hour span.
Cabell County EMS Director Gordon Merry tells news outlets that all the victims had been revived Monday using naloxone. Merry says the heroin that the users had taken was laced with a substance so strong that it sometimes took more than one dose of the opioid overdose-reversing drug to revive them.
Most of the 26 reported overdoses reported Monday were in an area surrounding Marcum Terrace, leading officials to believe the cases were connected.
Cabell County responded to 39 overdose calls in all of August 2015.
As of late Monday, officials were not sure what substance the drug had been laced with.