Beal scores 44 again as Wizards top Timberwolves

By Tyler Mason
Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Bradley Beal scored 44 points for the second straight game and the Washington Wizards snapped a three-game losing streak with a 137-116 win over the short-handed Minnesota Timberwolves on Friday night.
It was the third 40-point game of the season for Beal, who has topped 30 five times in his last seven games. His 44 points came on 15-of-22 shooting.
Moritz Wagner came off the bench for Washington to add 30 points and 15 rebounds — both career highs. Wagner also drew three charges to help spark the Wizards’ defense in the first half.
Washington dominated Minnesota down low all night. The Wizards scored 76 points in the paint, a season high.
Minnesota big man Karl-Anthony Towns, celebrating his 24th birthday, led the Timberwolves with 36 points. Towns, who missed the first meeting with Washington this season while serving a two-game suspension, scored 19 in the second quarter.
The Timberwolves were without leading scorer Andrew Wiggins, who missed the game due to personal reasons. Wiggins was averaging a team-high 25.9 points through the first 11 games of the season.
Wiggins had been especially effective over his last six games, in which he averaged 31.6 points.
Washington led by 12 in the first half and took a 13-point lead early in the fourth quarter on a 3-pointer by Wagner.
As the Timberwolves adjusted their lineup in Wiggins’ absence, point guard Jeff Teague stepped back into the starting five after coming off the bench Wednesday against San Antonio. He had 13 points and 11 assists.
TIP-INS
Wizards: Entered with the third-worst scoring defense in the NBA, allowing 120 points per game. … The Wizards scored 27 points off 20 Minnesota turnovers, a season high. … Washington’s 38 assists marked a season high.
Timberwolves: Head coach Ryan Saunders didn’t know if Wiggins would be available Saturday against Houston. “I don’t comment necessarily on personal matters,” Saunders said. “But one thing I will say is family is family, and we are family. Andrew has the time that he needs to deal with any personal matters.” … Minnesota transferred two-way player Kelan Martin to the roster. Martin entered late in the first quarter, his second appearance with the Timberwolves this season. … The Wolves were 11 for 37 from 3-point range.
UP NEXT
Wizards: At the Orlando Magic on Sunday, the final stop on a three-game road trip.
Timberwolves: Host the Rockets on Saturday. Houston will be without Russell Westbrook and Clint Capela.

Family of girl scarred by laser procedure files lawsuit

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The family of a 6-year-old girl whose face was permanently scarred during a laser procedure is suing the University of Minnesota Physicians doctor who treated the child.
A lawsuit filed in Hennepin County District Court this week alleges Dr. Kristen Hook failed to disclose her inexperience in using the laser to treat the girl’s birthmark and did not provide adequate follow-up care in 2017.
The Star Tribune reports the girl’s mother, Kasey Bernu, says the family wants accountability. The lawsuit seeks damages in excess of $50,000 for emotional distress, pain, suffering and a loss of future earnings, among other damages.
University of Minnesota Physicians declined to comment.
___
Information from: Star Tribune, http://www.startribune.com

Man wanted for kidnapping, assault arrested in Wisconsin

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A St. Paul man wanted for kidnapping and sexually assaulting a woman after breaking into her St. Louis Park home has been arrested following a police chase that ended in Wisconsin.
Law enforcement officers arrested 51-year-old Jeffrey Groves on Wednesday after he led them on a chase that began in Newport and ended about 18 miles away in Hudson, Wisconsin, when he crashed his vehicle.
The Star Tribune reports prosecutors say Groves tied up the woman, put a pillowcase over her head, assaulted her and held her captive for hours Nov. 3. A criminal complaint says he drove the woman to two ATMs and forced her to withdraw money before returning her to her home.
The woman told police she recognized Groves as a former handyman. It’s not clear whether Groves has hired an attorney.
___
Information from: Star Tribune, http://www.startribune.com

Rabid kitten bites three people in Otter Tail County

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — State animal health officials say an Otter Tail County kitten who bit three people, including a young child, has tested positive for rabies.
The Minnesota Board of Animal Health says the kitten’s owner saw a skunk attacking the kitten on her farmhouse porch last month. She recalled seeing blood and bite marks on the kitten’s leg.
The farm owner, her 4-year-old son and her pregnant sister were bitten by the kitten in early November. The kitten was then euthanized and submitted for rabies testing. Results that came earlier this week show the kitten was infected with the rabies virus.
The Minnesota Department of Health investigated and has recommended a course of preventive action for five people who may have been exposed to the virus.

Minnesota man accused of using Porsche as battering ram

LA CROSSE, Wis. (AP) — Prosecutors have accused a Minnesota man of using a Porsche as a battering ram to get his Nissan Altima out of an Onalaska impound lot.
The La Crosse Tribune reports that Benjamin Gjere of Lanesboro was charged Thursday with operating a motor vehicle without the owner’s consent, property damage, theft and bail jumping.
According to investigators, Gjere’s 2019 Altima was impounded Nov. 6 after he was pulled over.
Surveillance video shows Gjere and an unidentified accomplice on the lot Sunday.
An unlocked 2012 Porsche with the keys inside was parked behind the Altima. The video shows the Porsche crashing through the lot’s fence and a fence of a nearby house. The video shows the Altima driving through the holes in the fences.
Gjere was pulled over in Winona County, Minn., about an hour later.
___
Information from: La Crosse Tribune, http://www.lacrossetribune.com

Police say 3 injured in Minneapolis drive-by shooting

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Minneapolis police say three people have been wounded after a reported drive-by shooting.
The Star Tribune reports that officers were called about 1:35 p.m. Friday to investigate a shooting at a Minneapolis residence. Witnesses told police that a group of people were gathered at the residence when an unknown suspect opened fire from the front passenger seat of a silver Toyota Camry.
The conditions of the victims weren’t immediately known. No arrests have been reported.
___
Information from: Star Tribune, http://www.startribune.com

Upper Midwest sugar beet farmers endure difficult harvest

MOORHEAD, Minn. (AP) — It’s been a bitter harvest for many Minnesota and North Dakota sugar beet farmers.
Nearly a third of the crop in some parts of the two states is frozen into the fields — where it’ll be left to rot — after a wet October delayed the harvest until the weather turned too cold.
“This is far and away the worst (year), as far as beets left in the field,” Dan Younggren, who has raised sugar beets near Hallock in far northwestern Minnesota for about 40 years, told Minnesota Public Radio.
“This is hands-down the worst harvest we’ve had in 48 years,” Mike Metzger, a vice president of the Minn-Dak Farmers Cooperative, which operates a sugar beet processing plant in Wahpeton, North Dakota, for about 500 farmers, told the Star Tribune.
Minnesota is the largest sugar beet-growing state in the nation, while North Dakota is No. 3, close behind Idaho. Minnesota and North Dakota account for around 60% of U.S. sugar beet production. Beets account for more than half of the sugar produced in the U.S. every year.
While sugar prices have risen on the commodity markets, experts said they don’t expect any impacts on retail consumer prices for sugar for holiday baking, or on other foods and beverages containing sugar, because supplies remain adequate overall.
On Friday, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said it would take steps in the coming weeks to ensure an adequate sugar supply to the U.S. market. The agency said it would announce details by Dec. 10.
The USDA also lowered its projections for total U.S. sugar supplies for the 2019-20 crop year by 524,000 tons (475 metric tons), mostly due to the high levels of unharvested beets. Its monthly sugar outlook noted that the national sugar beet harvest was only 70% complete as of Nov. 3.
Insurance will cover only part of farmers’ losses. The governors of Minnesota and North Dakota recently asked U.S. Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue to issue disaster declarations for parts of their states affected by persistent bad weather this year.
Younggren was one of many of the 2,800 members of the Moorhead-based American Crystal Sugar cooperative who were forced to leave beets in the ground. In his case it was 40%.
Growers told Minnesota Public Radio they took another blow in recent days when the co-op told them they must now pay $343 for every acre they couldn’t harvest. The money will help cover operating costs for the co-op’s five processing plants, replacing money that would have come from sugar sales. That extra hit will cost Younggren about $170,000 on top of his other losses.
“We’re a co-op. Sometimes you thrive together, sometimes you suffer together,” said Younggren, who is also president of the Red River Valley Sugarbeet Growers Association. “You have to share in the cost of keeping the company alive, so that’s the number they came up with, (and) that’s the number we’ll live with.”
Growers in southwestern Minnesota, where the weather is warmer, were more fortunate.
“We actually harvested 99% of our crop,” said Todd Geselius, a vice president of the Southern Minnesota Beet Sugar Cooperative near Renville.
Farmers there are still looking at their second straight year of below-average payments. A wet spring delayed planting, so the crop fell short of average in both yield and sugar content, key factors in how much farmers earn, Geselius said.
“Chances are it’s not going to be a great year — certainly not good enough to make the kind of payment we would like to make to the growers,” he said.
___
The story above has been corrected to show that North Dakota is the No. 3 U.S. sugar beet producer behind Idaho.

Man who shot, wounded school bus driver sentenced to prison

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A Minnesota man who shot and wounded a school bus driver on a Minneapolis freeway during a snowstorm has been sentenced to more than seven years in prison.
Thirty-two-year-old Kenneth Lilly, of St. Paul, pleaded guilty in August to first-degree assault for the February attack that left Thomas Benson deaf in one ear and unable to continue working as a bus driver due to nerve damage in his hand. Lilly was sentenced Friday to 86 months.
Authorities say Benson was trying to merge onto the highway when his bus scraped Lilly’s car, although Lilly was unaware. During a traffic jam, Lilly walked in front of the bus and fired five shots into the windshield, wounding Benson’s arm and grazing his head. A girl on the bus was not hurt.
Defense attorneys asked for three years, citing Lilly’s “documented history of cognitive limitations.”

Minneapolis officials discover 1,700 untested rape kits

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Minneapolis officials say they have discovered the city has roughly 1,700 rape kits that have never been tested, with some dating back 30 years.
The number revealed Friday is nearly nine times more than the 194 untested kits the city disclosed it had in 2015.
Deputy Police Chief Erick Fors says the untested kits were discovered in July when the department was doing an inventory. He estimates it will likely take two years to get them tested.
Chief Medaria Arradondo told reporters there’s no explanation for the discrepancy in numbers, but there was a failure in auditing and processing that is unacceptable. He vowed to work with department agencies and advocates to ensure the kit are tested and victims are notified in a compassionate way.

College president wants founder’s name removed from building

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The president of a private liberal arts college in Minnesota is asking his board of trustees to remove the school founder’s name from a campus building over concerns about his racist and sexist views in the 1800s.
The Star Tribune reports that Macalester College leader Brian Rosenberg told faculty this week he planned to strip Edward Duffield Neill’s name from the humanities building, following pressure from student activists and journalists. Neill Hall was chosen in 2013.
Rosenberg said in a statement to the newspaper that his recommendation “is based on the racism reflected in his historical writings, which are extreme even by the standards of his time.”
The decision came two weeks after the student publication Mac Weekly published a special issue citing numerous examples of derogatory comments Neill made about American Indians in his published writings.
___
Information from: Star Tribune, http://www.startribune.com